Friday 25 July 2014

June What's In-die Box - Gradient Nail Art

The other day I showed some swatches of the polishes from the June What's In-die Box. Well I just had to do some nail art with the polishes and this is what I came up with. 



I've had this design in my head for a while and love how it turned out! The polishes I used were Peita's Polish - Pink Blitz, Glittering Elements - Queen of the Mermaids and Lilypad Lacquer - Violet Blaze, which all blended really well for the gradient. I also used a base of Sinful Colors - Snow Me White (under the gradients) and Ulta3 - Black Satin to outline the animal print. I also love how the studs, from the Born Pretty Store, just pull this design all together. I decided to make a pictorial for this


This tutorial was done while I was painting with my non dominant hand so I'm sorry for the messiness. Steps are:

1- Paint your base coat, wait for it to dry, and mark off half your finger with sticky tape.
2- Paint the exposed half of your finger white.
3- Immediately remove the tape and clean up the excess white polish from your cuticles. You need to remove the tape at this step to get a clean line. Wait for the white polish to dry.
Not Pictured- Re-tape your finger to cover the unpainted section
4- Prepare your gradient by painting your three chosen polishes onto a make up sponge.
5- Sponge on your gradient over the white polish from earlier. Make sure you have taped off the other half of your nail! 
Not pictured- Remove the tape and clean up your cuticles with acetone.
6- Using a dotting tool or toothpick, use the colours from your gradient in reverse order to create random sized splodges on the unpainted area of your nail. 
7- Again with your dotting tool or toothpick, outline each of the splodges from before with black and then add black lines to any really bare areas.
8- Add a top coat and lay down your studs. I just used my fingers to pick them up and position as they are quite large. I then added another layer top coat over the studs.

For the other fingers, I just painted them white and did the gradient as explained above. I then added top coat, studs and another layer of top coat. And it's as easy as that.




Taken with flash
I hope you like these as much as I do! They would look so awesome in the sun if it would just come out and play. Remember to follow and comment if you're liking what you're seeing!

- Melissa



No comments:

Post a Comment