Sunday 10 August 2014

Sunday Swatch Time - Shades of Phoenix - 'Weird & Wonderful Flavors' Trio

Welcome to the first instalment of Sunday Swatch Time. Every Sunday I shall try to share with you swatches of the polishes in my collection. This gives me the opportunity to show you some pretty polishes and also for me to see what I have in my stash.

The other day I created some nail art using two polishes from the 'Weird & Wonderful Flavors' trio by Shades of Phoenix. I promised swatches of the whole collection so what better way to start off Sunday Swatch Time than with those polishes?

The 'Weird & Wonderful Flavors' trio is a really cool concept which is part of a 6 polish partnership between Moonstone Nail Polish and Shades of Phoenix. Each polish in the collection has two different names or flavors, one wonderful and one weird. The magic is that you don't know which version of the polish you will receive until you eagerly rip open your nail mail. This idea is based off the concept of Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, which sold me on the polishes right away because I'm a massive fan of Harry Potter. I only purchased the Shades of Phoenix side of the set, but the full collection can be found here.

Mint Leaf

The first polish I received was the wonderful Mint Leaf (or Spinach for the weird). This is a glitter packed polish in a lightly tinted green base. All the glitter in this polish is green and it comes in every shape. The formula is so glittertastic that Mint Leaf is opaque is just two dabbed coats. However I found that I could still see the tips of my nails with two coats so the swatches here are two dabbed coats, plus a third, normally applied coat, topped with one layer of HK Girl top coat. 

This was possible my favourite polish of the collection and I did edit my pictures a little so that the colour truly reflected what I was seeing in real life.

Shades of Phoenix - Mint Leaf Swatch

Shades of Phoenix - Mint Leaf Swatch

Shades of Phoenix - Mint Leaf Swatch


Pixie Snot

Next I got the weird Pixie Snot (or Blueberry for the wonderful flavor). I am so glad I received the Pixie Snot version because I think the name is just perfect. This polish has various blue, pink and purple glitter all packed into a dark purple blue base. This polish is so easy to apply with no need to trawl for glitter and the swatches show three thin coats plus one coat of HK Girl Top Coat.

 I found that this looked a lot more purple in person than my camera was capturing, so once again I did minor modifications to the images to reflect this.

Shades of Phoenix - Pixie Snot Swatch

Shades of Phoenix - Pixie Snot Swatch

Shades of Phoenix - Pixie Snot Swatch

Earl Grey

The last polish in the collection is the wonderful Earl Grey (or the weird Sardine). This polish has a grey creme base with some gold flakies, blue flakies and a bluish shimmer. The formula is quite good, only requiring two coats for opacity but I have shown three coats here, plus one coat of HK Girl Top Coat for consistency.  

I want to love Earl Grey but I'm not sure the colour really suits my skin tone! However it worked well in my nail art the other day, so I shall continue to love it.

Shades of Phoenix - Earl Grey Swatch

Shades of Phoenix - Earl Grey Swatch

Shades of Phoenix - Earl Grey Swatch

I hope you love these polishes as much as I do and look forward to the next instalment of Sunday Swatch Time! All information on where to get these polishes can be found in the links in my post!

Until next time!

- Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment