Saturday 1 November 2014

Happy Halloween - My Queen of Hearts Costume!

Although Halloween is officially over, I wanted to share with you the costume I made for fun. I've been following some amazing make up artists and special effects artists on instagram and have wanted to try some special effects for a while. Halloween provided the perfect excuse (even though I don't actually celebrate it) to have a play around with some concepts. So using a few tutorials, this was my costume, The Queen of Hearts.

Queen of Hearts Costume

So the first thing I did was create a fake heart using Gelatine and fake blood, a tutorial for which can be found here by Mykie. I wasn't too happy with how my heart came out the first time, but you can re-melt gelatine to use again, so I did that and created a second heart. I then used extra gelatine to create the extra dangly bits which are meant to be the main veins or whatever.

I had leftover gelatine so using that I made the wound you can see here, because I like to rip my heart out of my chest and hold it in my hand. I then blended the wound into my skin using face powder. I coloured the wound to look bloody with red and blue face paints and added some thickened fake blood to add the extra goriness. Finally I added some vein-age using eyeshadow because I could.

Some quick make up and a paper heart tied to a tiara and my Halloween costume was done. I think the best part of this was that I could remove the wound and re-position it as I pleased. In fact I removed it shortly after these pictures and my brother ended up wearing it as a last minute killer hillbilly costume for a party.

I definitely think I enjoyed doing this a little too much and may do more in the future. Enjoy the gore :P

Queen of Hearts Costume

Queen of Hearts Costume

Queen of Hearts Costume

Queen of Hearts Costume

No comments:

Post a Comment